|Rob Kalin, Jared Tarbell, and Haim Schoppik|
WEBSITE REGISTRATION DATE
5th February, 2004
30+ Million USD
About Etsy Company
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. It’s home to a universe of special extraordinary items from unique handcrafted pieces to vintage treasure. Etsy was founded by Rob Kalin, Jared Tarbell, and Haim Schoppik on 18th June 2005 in the United States.
Currently, as of September 2021 the CEO of Etsy is Josh Silverman.
The headquarters of the company is in Brooklyn, New York, United States. The parent company of Etsy is Etsy Inc.
The subsidiaries of Etsy are Trunkt LLC, Etsy UK Ltd, Reverb LLC, Etsy France SAS, Etsy Ireland UC, Depop Limited, Reverb Holdings, Inc, Grand St., And Elo7 Serviços de Informática S.A.
According to reports, Etsy has about 81.9 million active buyers. The founder Rob Kalin named it Etsy because he wanted to start the brand from scratch. He wrote some words while watching an Italian movie called 8 ½. He selected the word ETSI which means ‘ohh, yes’ in Italian, and ‘what if’ in Latin and French. So, he came up with ‘Etsy’ which means ‘just because’ in Greek.
About Etsy Company History
Let’s learn about Etsy Company’s History, about how Etsy was formed and its up and downs –
- 2005 – The foundation of Etsy was laid. The company attracted attention by frequently adding new tools and more functions to gain exposure and traffic.
- 2007 – Etsy surpassed the revenue of $1.7 million in May. Buyers spent about $4.3 million in buying 3,00,000 items on Etsy.
- 2008 – Etsy received an investment of $27 million from big-loaded investors. Rob Kalin ceded the position of CEO and Maria Thomas became the new CEO of the company.
- 2009 – The company was promoted on Twitter with a #etsyday which brought a lot of attention to the company. Also, the company had 60 employees and sales of $13 per month.
- 2010 – Etsy reported that it has 7 million registered users and they will continue to grow larger and will focus on a personal community.
- 2011 – Etsy introduced a social networking app similar to Facebook, called People Search which helped the buyers and sellers to connect ds just like on Facebook. Etsy also made some changes to the site to protect the information regarding the purchase. Former CTO, Chad Dickerson becomes the new CEO.
- 2012 – The company announced that it has become a B Corp. and also raised $40 million from series F funding. The company used these funds to expand in international markets like Australia, France, and Germany.
- 2013 – The CEO held an online Town hall meeting where he announced that Etsy will start permitting factory-made goods and drop shipping.
- 2014 – Etsy acquired a French e-commerce site for handmade goods, foods and wine called A Market, with stock valued at less than $100 million.
- 2015 – The company went public and sold 13.3 million shares. The company was valued at 1.8 billion US dollars and raised $237 million from the IPO.
- 2016 – The company disclosed that it has purchased Blackbird Technologies which is a Startup used to develop artificial technology for an amount of 32.5 million dollars.
- 2017 – Due to the citing pressure from shareholders and poor profits, company board member Josh Silverman replaced Chad Dickerson and became the new CEO.
- 2019 – Etsy acquired a music-based marketplace called Reverb for an amount of 275 million dollars.
- 2020 – The company issued a call to all the sellers to make face masks instead of the coronavirus pandemic. The company sold masks, which accounted for 11 percent of gross merchandise sales.
- 2021 – In June, the company announced that it is going to acquire an online shopping app called depop which is a marketplace for reselling for about $1.63 billion.
About Etsy Services
Etsy lets its users shop millions of one-of-a-kind items straight from their phones and tablets. Whether it’s for moments big or small they have it all: handmade goods, vintage goods, creative goods, custom goods—there’s something for everyone. There’s no creative marketplace quite like it. Also, with the Etsy app people can purchase the perfect gift for friends, family, and co-workers, or even get a little something for themselves.
With the Etsy app, it’s incredibly easy to explore all the delightful, personalized, unique items that people want. Browse curated collections of handcrafted jewelry, vintage goods for their closet, customized furniture for their home, everyday supplies for their kitchen and bath, DIY kits to help that creativity flow, and so much more.
Plus, whenever there’s a big day coming up—weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, or graduation—Etsy is the go-to destination for unique occasion gifts. Etsy is spoken around the world! Now, people can browse in English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Japanese, Portuguese, or Russian. To help the sellers in increasing their business Etsy has introduced an ‘Etsy Plus’.
About Etsy Plus
Etsy Plus is a subscription package offering an expanded set of tools for growing brands. The fee for this subscription is USD 10 per month, check Etsy official website for more information about Etsy subscription plans. Etsy Plus subscription fees are deducted from the current balance account each month and are reflected in the subscriber’s account.
About Etsy Benefits
Here are some of the benefits of Etsy which makes it extremely popular with millions of buyers –
- It allows people to save their favorite items and shops so that they can discover more of what they want later.
- It saves time and gives their users more personalized recommendations in the future.
- Gives notifications when the user’s favorite shop adds new items, or when their favorite items go on sale, so they won’t miss out on special savings or limited editions.
- It allows their users to chat directly with shop owners and have items customized just for them. Most shop owners are quick to respond and love creating something just for their customers!
- It’s easy to buy goods swiftly and securely using their full suite of payment options, including Google Pay at checkout.
This was about Etsy; about Etsy’s history, services, and benefits which has made Etsy what it is today, especially its uniqueness for selling vintage and handcrafted products which are not easy to find in today’s era.