Eren Bali, Gagan Biyani, and Oktay Caglar
Online Education Website
DOMAIN REGISTRATION DATE
13th August, 2009*
15+ Million USD***
About Udemy Company
The online learning platform Udemy offers its users video courses on a wide range of subjects, including coding, video and photo editing, personal and professional development, software training, and programming classes.
Udemy is a strong platform for non-degree, self-directed learning in both hard and soft skills.
About Udemy Founders
Udemy was founded by Eren Bali, Gagan Biyani, and Oktay Caglar. The company was founded on 11 May 2010. Gregg Coccari is the CEO of the company.
Eren Bali is a Turkish entrepreneur and computer scientist. He was born in Turkey in 1984 and developed a passion for education and technology at a young age. He initially studied mathematics and computer science at the University of Ankara before dropping out to pursue his entrepreneurial endeavors. Eren Bali is credited with the initial concept and development of Udemy, and he played a crucial role in the company’s early growth.
Gagan Biyani, an Indian-American entrepreneur, was also one of the co-founders of Udemy. He was born in the United States and grew up in California. Biyani graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a degree in Philosophy. He contributed to the early growth of Udemy by focusing on business development and marketing strategies.
Oktay Caglar, a Turkish entrepreneur, completed the trio of co-founders. Born in Turkey, Caglar graduated from Bosphorus University in Istanbul. He brought his expertise in engineering and technology to Udemy, helping shape the platform’s technical infrastructure and development.
While Eren Bali and Oktay Caglar eventually left Udemy to pursue other ventures, Gagan Biyani remained with the company for several years and played a crucial role in its growth.
Udemy Contact Information
The headquarters of Udemy is located at 600 Harrison St 3rd Floor San Francisco, California, United States.
Udemy Head Office Addresses
- United States:- 1860 Blake St 3rd Floor, Denver
- Brazil:- R. Cap. Antônio Rosa, No. 409 – Vila Madalena, São Paulo
- India:- 5th Floor, Two Horizon Centre, Golf Course Road, DLF Phase 5, Sector 43, Gurugram
- Ireland:- Level 1, 2 Windmill Ln, Dublin
- Turkey:- Üniversiteler, İhsan Doğramacı Blv No:27 D:blok k1 – 7, Ankara
Udemy Contact Number
(760) 483-3694, (415) 813-1710
Udemy E-mail Address
About Udemy Funding
Udemy has attracted significant funding from various investors over the years. As of September 2021, Udemy had raised a total of $223 million in funding from multiple investment rounds. Some of the notable investors in Udemy include Insight Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Stripes, Benesse Holdings, and Learn Capital.
In February 2021, Udemy raised $50 million in a Series F funding round led by Learn Capital, valuing the company at around $3.3 billion. This funding was primarily intended to fuel international expansion and support the platform’s growth.
To increase its ed-tech portfolio, Winter Capital joins the Series F Funding Round in the fourth quarter of 2020. In order to better serve students, organizations, and instructors around the world, Udemy will be able to use the funds obtained to expand its consumer and business product offerings.
About Udemy History
- A Udemy app for Apple iOS was made available in April 2013, enabling students to access their courses straight from iPhones.
- In January 2014, the Android version of the Udemy app was launched. Over a million iOS users had downloaded the app as of January 2014, and 20% of Udemy consumers accessed their courses on mobile devices.
- Eren Bali, a co-founder of Udemy, was included in Forbes’ 2014 list of “the brightest stars in 15 different fields under the age of 30.”
- The top 10 instructors earned more than $17 million in total income in 2015.
- As a follow-up to the $65 million Series D round of funding from June 2015, Udemy raised $60 million from Naspers Ventures in June 2016.
- Udemy added support for Apple TV to its iOS platform in July 2016.
- Gregg Coccari was named as the organization’s new CEO by the board of directors, according to an announcement made by Udemy on February 5, 2019.
- The Udemy mobile app surpassed all other top-grossing Android apps in India on January 11, 2020.
- Udemy was ranked on Fortune Magazine’s annual “Change the World” list in 2020.
- Udemy declared a $2 billion value in February 2020 and raised $50 million from Benesse Holdings, Inc., a long-time partner in Japan.
- Udemy raised $50 million in November 2020 at a $3.25 billion value, driven by Tencent Holdings.
- Udemy held its IPO in the US on October 29, 2021, and is listed there under the ticker UDMY.
- Udemy modified its logo to its present-day style in 2021, adding an inverted purple chevron above its trademarked name in bolded lowercase letters and a black background.
Udemy has received recognition, as the Bay Area’s Best Place to Work in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022,
Over 35 million users use the network, and 57,000 instructors are teaching over 65 different languages. More than 400 million people have signed up. More than 180 nations are represented among the students and professors, and 66% of them are outside of the United States.
Udemy has received awards like VatorSplash and the ASU Education Innovation Summit.
About Udemy Services
Courses are taught by subject matter experts in languages other than English, including Spanish, French, Japanese, Portuguese, and German.
Students at Udemy have the choice to decide what and when to study. Students can sign up for a course at any time if it is made available on the e-learning platform because Udemy offers lifetime access to it. The pupils can learn at their own pace because there is no predefined time limit.
With the help of Udemy, students may learn about a wide range of areas, from the arts to business. The pupils can learn whatever they wish to.
Some Udemy courses are free, while others cost money starting at $9. Students can also register themselves using discount coupons or wait for seasonal sales to get these courses at lower prices. Additionally, they can select their preferred mode of payment.
Udemy certification programs boost your professional credibility. Udemy offers a variety of certification programs to help you build up your skill set, update it, and broaden your knowledge. It provides students with certificates of achievement as a sign that they have finished a certain course.
You can save certificates as a.pdf or.jpg file to share your achievement with others. Additionally, certificates can be shared straight from Udemy on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Udemy for Business offers a platform for employee training and development that includes learning analytics, subscription access to more than 7,000 courses, and the capacity to host and share one’s content.
Upskilling workers and preparing them for occupations of the future are the goals of Udemy for Government. It is privately held, has offices in Denver, Brazil, India, Ireland, and Turkey, and is headquartered in San Francisco.
Benefits of using Udemy
Udemy is a popular online learning platform that offers a wide range of courses on various topics. Here are some benefits of using Udemy:
- Course Variety: Udemy provides a vast selection of courses, covering diverse subjects such as programming, business, marketing, photography, personal development, and more. With over 155,000 courses available, learners can find courses that suit their interests and professional goals.
- Flexibility and Convenience: Udemy allows learners to access courses at their own pace and on their own schedule. The platform is available 24/7, and once you enroll in a course, you can access the content from anywhere with an internet connection. This flexibility makes it convenient for individuals with busy schedules or those who prefer self-paced learning.
- Expert Instructors: Udemy courses are created and taught by experts in their respective fields. Instructors on Udemy come from diverse backgrounds and often have extensive experience and knowledge in their subject areas. They bring practical insights and real-world examples to the courses, enhancing the learning experience.
- Affordable Pricing: Udemy courses are generally more affordable compared to traditional education options. The platform frequently offers discounts and promotions, and you only pay for the specific courses you want to take. Additionally, once you purchase a course, you typically have lifetime access to the course materials, allowing you to revisit the content whenever you need to.
- Practical and Applicable Skills: Many Udemy courses focus on practical skills that can be immediately applied in the workplace or personal life. Whether you’re looking to learn a new programming language, improve your leadership abilities, or enhance your digital marketing skills, Udemy offers courses that provide actionable knowledge and hands-on exercises.
- Peer Reviews and Ratings: Udemy features a review and rating system that allows learners to read feedback from previous students. These reviews can give you insights into the course quality, instructor expertise, and overall learning experience. This feature helps you make informed decisions when selecting courses.
- Supplementary Learning Resources: In addition to video lectures, many Udemy courses provide supplementary resources such as quizzes, exercises, downloadable materials, and discussion forums. These resources enhance the learning process and provide opportunities for hands-on practice and engagement with the course content.
- Certificate of Completion: Upon finishing a Udemy course, you receive a certificate of completion. While Udemy certificates may not hold the same weight as formal degrees or certifications, they can still be valuable for professional development, showcasing your commitment to continuous learning, and demonstrating your skills to employers or clients.
It’s important to note that while Udemy offers many benefits, the quality of courses can vary since anyone can become an instructor on the platform. Therefore, it’s essential to review the course description, instructor credentials, and student reviews before enrolling in a course.
**[SimilarWeb unacademy.com] Retrieved 17th March, 2023
***[Siteprice unacademy.com] Retrieved 17th March, 2023